This year's 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in IBC's Ontario region are:
- 1. 2016 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
- 2. 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
- 3. 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
- 4. 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 2WD Pick-Up
- 5. 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
- 6. 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD and GMC Sierra 2500 4WD SUVs
- 7. 2003 Hummer H2 4-door 4WD SUV
- 8. 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 4-door 4WD and GMC Yukon 4-door 4WD SUVs
- 9. 2014 Toyota 4-Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
- 10. 2005 Buick Rainier 4-door 2WD, Chevrolet Trailblazer 4-door 2WD and GMC Envoy SUVs
Quoting Statistics Canada as the IBC source, Donaldson noted that Guelph, Ontario reported the largest auto theft activity increase in Canada at 49%. Windsor reported a 14% increase and St. Catharines experienced a 5% increase. Of Ontario's two largest cities, Toronto reported a 4% increase while Ottawa experienced a 1% decline. Theft was also down 17% in Sudbury, 12% in Barrie and London, 9% in Kingston, and 1% in Peterborough and Hamilton. In Ontario, the rate of recovery for stolen vehicles increased to 60%, up 2 per cent from last year.
Keep your vehicle safe
Cars are stolen for a number of reasons. Stolen vehicles may be shipped overseas, where they are either sold to consumers who don't know they are buying a stolen car; chopped for parts; or used to commit another crime.
"It takes less than a minute for a car thief to steal your vehicle. If you've gone to the trouble of buying a car that has a theft deterrent system, don't make it easy for thieves by leaving the keys in the car," added Donaldson. Protect your vehicle by following these tips:
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- When parking your car, always close the windows and lock the doors.
- Put valuables and packages in the trunk, where they are out of sight.
- Keep your car in the garage at night.
- Don't leave personal information in the glove box. Take your insurance and ownership documents with you when you park your vehicle.