Valentine's Day Fun Facts
1. The most popular theory about Valentine's Day's origin is that Emperor Claudius II didn't want Roman men to marry during wartime. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret weddings. For this, Valentine was jailed and executed. While in jail he wrote a note to the jailor's daugter signing it "from your Valentine".
2. In order of popularity, Valentine's Day cards are given to teachers, children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
3. Girls of medieval times ate bizarre foods on St. Valentine's Day to make them dream of their future husband.
4. Lace is often used on Valentine decorations. The word “lace” comes from the Latin laques, meaning “to snare or net,” as in to catch a person’s heart.
5. 73 percent of people who buy flowers on this day are men, while only 27 percent are women.
6. Women tend to buy approximately 85% of all the Valentine`s Day cards sold.
7. Red roses are considered the flower of love because the color red stands for strong romantic feelings. Also, the red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
8. At least 9 million people buy their pets a gift on Valentine`s Day.
9. Physicians of the 1800s commonly advised their patients to eat chocolate to calm their pining for lost love
10. After St. Valentine was buried, Julia, the daughter of his jailor, planted an almond tree with pink blossoms near his grave. The almond tree today is a symbol of lasting friendship and love.
WHO ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH?
Armour Your Loved Ones With an Insurance Policy that fits your needs! Get a free quote today!